I just read this article, Two die of brain-eating infection from Louisiana tap water, ” and this rather hit close to home for me.
According to the post:
The warning came after a 51-year-old woman in the state died after she was infected with the “brain-eating” amoeba Naegleria fowleri, which enters the body through the nose and sometimes causes devastating meningitis. Apparently, the amoeba lurked in tap water the woman used in her neti pot, a pitcher-like device used to rinse nasal passages.
You see, back in 1986, my mother died of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) which is what it is called in humans… and in cattle, it is called “Mad Cow Disease“. Although CJD is very different from the organism in the tap water in Louisiana, there are some similarities in the description. CJD is a prion and literally ate holes in my mothers brain. We noticed the first symptoms at Thanksgiving in 1985, and she died in March 1986 – only four months later.
Basically, we are polluting ourselves in so many ways. CJD came from cattle, and it is suspected that cattle contracted it from sheep, which is where this prion originated. Cattle farmers would often grind of the bones from sheep and put it in the cattle feed.
And now, tap water is not safe.
Thanks, “Eideard, for posting this story!