Jogger shot in cold blood nearly 2 months ago in Georgia. Killers not indicted.
On February 23, Ahmaud Arbery, 26, was out jogging in a neighborhood just outside of Brunswick, GA, when he was shot and killed by a father-son duo, Gregory McMichael (father) and Travis McMichael (son). Humph. Like father like son….. According to the autopsy report, Arbery sustained three wounds during the struggle with McMichael’s gun. Sadly, the pandemic and trump being such a failure has been leading the news – it took nearly 2 months for this to make headlines.
WARNING: THIS IS A VERY GRAPHIC VIDEO.
I was able to find an unedited version where the jogger, Ahmaud Arbery, collapses after being shot. You do not see any blood, though. Just hear gunfire and Arbery falling down, dying.
This makes me sick. The shooters, a father and son duo, are trying to claim that they thought Arbery was running after committing a crime, and that he was armed. The McMichael’s also state they were attempting to make a citizen’s arrest. Here is what I see:
- Arbery is very obviously jogging. We’ve all seen joggers. They have a certain pace and way they run. And wear specific clothing, too. Everything about Arbery screams “I am out jogging!” Besides, if he was running from a crime, I doubt he’d be following a road where he could hide more easily from anyone.
- Arbery’s hands and arms are clearly visible through the entire ordeal and there is never anything in his grasp – other than attempting to push McMichael’s shotgun away from him. When the McMichael’s started the ordeal, there was nothing indicating Arbery had a gun — because he didn’t!
- Does a citizen’s arrest constitute using a gun? Here is what Georgia Legal Aid says about Citizen’s Arrests:
- As a private citizen, you have no authority to arrest anyone with a warrant. Without a warrant, you may arrest anyone who commits a misdemeanor or a felony in your presence or with your immediate knowledge. A citizen’s arrest occurs when a citizen prevents a suspect from leaving a scene.
- The truck stopped and waited for Arbery. Again, if Arbery was running after committing a crime, he would not have continued on his way but rather turned around, or ran away from the road into the woods.
- A friend of Arbery’s, Akeem Baker, 26, states that Arbery is a regular jogger, which he looks like this isn’t his first time out going for a jog. Has a steady gait and just going on his way.
Wanda Cooper, Arbery’s mother, told CNN on Sunday that when police notified her of her son’s death, she was told her son was involved in a burglary and that there was a confrontation between her son and the homeowner and a struggle over a gun. “He was not armed,” Cooper said. She said she never worried about him jogging because she said he wasn’t bothering anyone.
Arbery was shot after two men saw him running in their neighborhood and armed themselves with guns before getting in a truck to pursue him, according to an incident report filed by Glynn County police.
Gregory McMichael told police that he was in his front yard when he saw “the suspect from the break-ins ‘hauling ass’ down the street.” McMichael told police that he and his adult son thought the man matched someone caught on a security camera committing a recent break-in in the neighborhood.
McMichael and his son, Travis, both grabbed guns because they “didn’t know if the male was armed or not,” accord to the police report. He told officers they first tried to stop Arbery by shouting, “Stop, stop, we want to talk to you!”
McMichael said Travis got out of the truck with a shotgun and that Arbery “began to violently attack” him and “the two men then started fighting over the shotgun,” the police report said. McMichael said his son fired two shots, according to the report.
The police report says Gregory McMichael turned Arbery onto his back to see if he was armed – but the report doesn’t say whether he had a weapon or not.
Now that the video has been released, we can see that the McMichael’s version is nothing more than a bunch of horseshit, and this was a racist attack and killing.
I hope both father and son go to prison for a long time. Sadly, Georgia is still a “good ol’ white boys” state, so we’ll see what happens.