Friday the 13th… Thirteen interesting facts about the number 13
Some interesting facts about the number 13….
1. Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13.
2. Many cities don’t have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue. This city tempted fate.
3. If you have 13 letters in your name, you’re said to have the devil’s luck. Like, this guy (Charles Manson).
4. Many airports skip the 13th gate.
5. Airplanes have no 13th aisle.
6. Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery.
7. More than 80% of high rises lack a 13th floor.
8. On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half.
9. Traditionally in hangings, there are 13 knots in the noose and 13 steps leading up to the moment of death.
10. French President Nicolas Sarkozy may know that in France, socialites called quatorziens (fourteeners) make themselves available as 14th guests to keep a dinner party from an unlucky fate.
11. Many say the No. 13 pointed to the ill-fated mission to the moon, Apollo 13.
12. Tarot Card number 13 is the Death Card, depicting the Grim Reaper.
13. Some say that the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi (circa 1780 B.C.E.) is to blame for the No. 13 woes since the 13th law is omitted.
Okay, I’m adding a 14th as this is interesting, and goes against the pattern of the number 13 being unlucky:
13 -1/2: While the number thirteen is widely considered unlucky, especially in western cultures, it actually remains a popular symbol of luck as tattoos.